(Cleveland) - The man accused of imprisoning three women in his Cleveland home and subjecting them to rapes and beatings for a decade will spend the rest of his life in prison.
Judge Michael Russo handed down the previously agreed to sentence of life with no parole, plus 1,000 years to Ariel Castro.
Before sentencing, Castro apologized to his victims, but also claimed most of the sex was consensual.
Castro also said he isn't a monster. He says he's sick and addicted to pornography. He says he didn't even plan the first kidnapping.
Castro says he knows what he did was wrong, but that he's not a violent person and that his captives asked for sex and weren't tortured.
Gina DeJesus, Amanda Berry and Michelle Knight disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro, who remained friends with the family of one of the women and even attended vigils over the years marking her disappearance.
Castro fathered a 6-year-old daughter with Berry, now 27. On the day the child was born, Christmas 2006, Castro raped one of the other women, who had helped deliver the baby.
Berry told authorities that she, her child and the other women never saw a doctor during their captivity. Knight, now 32, said her five pregnancies ended after Castro starved and repeatedly punched her.
The women escaped Castro's house May 6 when one of them kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.
(Photo by Getty Images)
McGinty said the county will use more than $20,000 seized from Castro to tear down his house within a month, and two abandoned houses next door will be razed and a vacant lot acquired for a park.
Get breaking news sent to your mobile phone. Text "news" to 21095.
(Copyright © 2013 by Clear Channel, all rights reserved. Castro/Knight photos by Angelo Merendino/Getty Images)