(Cleveland) - There were a few tense moments along the 3700 block of West 37th Street this morning, when residents called the fire department, complaining of the strong odor of natural gas.
Firefighters evacuated residents near a vacant house at 3719 West 37th, after they determined that's where the smell was coming from. Crews were able to shut the gas off, but the smell lingered in the neighborhood for a while.
Tessa Walker lives across the street from the vacant home, and was concerned that the house could explode leveling the entire neighborhood, but firefighters told her it was alright to wait on her back porch.
Investigators believe the house had been broken into. Next door neighbor George Christian speculates that someone may have tried to steal the water heater or furnace.
Police diverted traffic around the area until the danger had passed. Residents quickly returned to their homes.
(Photo by Ken Robinson/WTAM)
Get breaking news sent to your mobile phone. Text "news" to 21095.
(Copyright © 2014 by Clear Channel, all rights reserved.)